A short history of Horley Fire Brigade compiled by Henry Pelham (uploaded in January 2026)

In March 1887, following the destructive fire at Salfords Mill, within Horley Parish, and attended by the Redhill Brigade, members of Horley Town Council all agreed ‘That it was desirable that a Volunteer Fire brigade should be formed in Horley’, Mr Henry Webber purchased ‘A very good engine’ for £250, to be repaid by voluntary contributions, Mr Whitmore, a local Coal and Corn Merchant, sponsored the horses which were to be stabled at his business premises, along with his own.

The fire engine was to be housed at Horley Gas Works; a field at the back of the Kings Head Inn was made available for the brigade to practice their fire fighting skills. Unfortunately, by 1890 the Fire Brigade that started in 1887 had more or less ceased to exist as the original members had only offered to serve for two years.

In November 1890 the need for a fire brigade finally took on urgency, following a Parish council meeting, and was formed with one horse-drawn manual engine and twelve men, with Mr Jenkins filling the role of Captain. The engine was to remain garaged at the Gas works and drawn by horses supplied by brigade member James Burstow, a carrier by trade, and would be stabled at his business premises and yard, opposite Horley’s original Railway station, now Crewdson Road.

The crew were summoned to calls during the day by a maroon sounded at the Horley Gas Works, but during the night the call was given by ‘Call Boys’, whose job it was, to go to each member and wake them up.

1894 – 12 fire hydrants were installed.

1895 – An enamel plate with the word ‘fireman’ was fitted to each of the brigade member’s houses, so the police and public would know where to raise the alarm in the case of a fire.

1896 – A steam siren was erected at the Gasworks to summon the firemen to duty. Members were also encouraged to obtain a ‘St John’s’ first aid certificate, with the first four members and one reserve qualifying in that year.

1900 – the Fire Brigade were asked to vacate the   Gasworks site, so relocated across the road to the Kings Head public house, using a carriage building to house the engine, which proved to be very unsatisfactory which in turn called for a more permanent site to be found

1901 – The Fire Brigade’s responsibility would remain only within the parish of Horley; requests for attendance to adjoining parishes were to be made in writing to the Horley Captain – Mr Jenkins.

A site for the new fire station was sought by the Parish Council; two sites were identified with the preferred site being alongside the new Police Station in Massetts Road.  The other, a plot in Albert Road, was to be finally agreed upon.

With the usual prevarications common during Council meetings, over costs, designs etc., the new fire station was eventually built around 1902 by Mr. Arthur Jennings based on a design by Mr C.H. Burrows of Horsham.

The building would consist of a large downstairs hall in which to keep the fire appliances and would have upstairs accommodation for a caretaker, the first being Mr. Wood, Deputy Captain, although others would take the caretakers position during the life of the station.

 

                                                                         Horley Fire Station 1902 – 1966                                photo HLHS

In addition to the current appliance, a forty-foot wheeled escape and a hose truck was also purchased – the horses would remain east of the railway and be brought over the level crossing or through the subway.

 

                                    Captain Jenkins and his Fire Brigade outside the new Fire Station in Albert Road in about 1910 – Photo HLHS

1905 – With the closure of the level crossing the brigade requested the removal of the bollards at either end of the subway to allow for the brigade to take the hose reel or the fire ladder through “as at present the ratepayers on the East side of the railway were cut off from the immediate help of the fire brigade’

1906 – Newspaper reports stated that the Fire brigade and their horses were still using the subway

1910 – The first recorded telephone call was made.

1920 – The first motor appliance was acquired, a ‘Pierce Arrow’ lorry, with a top speed of fifteen miles per hour, which had been used previously by the forces during the 1914-1918 War, ending the reliance on horse-drawn vehicles

1922 – A ‘Merryweather’ motor Fire-pump was purchased, ending the need for a manual pump

1926  –  A motor Fire engine was added.

1935 – Horley celebrates King George V Silver Jubilee.

                                     Horley’s Fire Engine and Crew taking part in the street procession – Victoria Road.

                                                                               Members of Horley Fire Brigade at the same event

 

 
Three members of the Voice family in

1935

L to R   Frank (Jnr) Sidney, Frank (Sen)

All Photos HLHS

 

 

1939 – With the outbreak of WW2 all 15 members of the Horley Fire Brigade were immediately enrolled as full-time firemen – up until this time the fire brigade had been purely voluntary. Firemen had been paid a small quarterly fee of £3 and were all following other full-time occupations.

As the war dragged on 250 full-time and part-time volunteers were recruited to the district.

During the height of the Blitz, Horley members responded to many regional calls from London, Southampton, Portsmouth and Bath.

1941 – Nationalisation of the Fire Service – this bought standardisation of equipment and uniforms throughout the country.

1966 – Horley fire station relocated to Povey Cross

                                                                         Horley Fire station – Povey Cross                  Photo HLHS                                                                               

 

1977/78 –National fireman’s strike

 

 
November 1977 – January 1978

Army ‘Green Goddess’

Fire Engines were stationed in Horley

Manned by

The Gurkha Regt.

 

                                                                            ‘Green Goddess fire engine’

1982 – With the boundary changes, along with Gatwick Airport, Horley Fire Station became the responsibility of West Sussex County Council.

2021 – Surplus to requirements Horley’s Fire station at Povey Cross closed.

 

And today….

                                                                                                                      Photo HLHS

 

                                          The former Albert Road fire station is now the home of the YMCA young people and family centre.