jackfairmanpub.jpg

Then & Now

This is a series of old photographs of Horley taken from our archives, each with a more recent picture for comparison.


Albert Road Then

Looking south down Albert Road, Horley, in about 1913.

Horley Grammar School was in a house on the left near the baker's handcart.

Albert Road Now

Brighton Road, Horley, with the junction of Church Road.

Horley Fire Station in Albert Road.

Horley High Street about 1900. At the time this picture was taken, it was called Station Road because it led up to the Horley Railway Station.

Victoria Road and the Post Office.

Horley Station, in about 1905.

Looking up Massetts Road from the end of the High Street.

How many remember the old Regent Cinema that used to stand in Victoria Road?
Now, the site contains a supermarket.

Looking west down the High Street in about 1904. The stone Surrey County Council building was a Technical Institute at this time but was previously a bank and later became the Public Library.